Monday, October 11, 2010

Life changes, and the list of missing things.

A year ago, I was in college. Doing what most people my age do. Wake up, go to class, go to sports, go to eat, go to bed, go to class. So on, and so forth. Weekends consisted of waking up in hotel rooms, and chasing a far off dream, that alas, will never come to fruition. The work week consisted of going through the motions. Doing well, but not caring, going to school because I had to. Every single day the thought crossed my mind, "Why am I here?" I never knew the answer. I knew what I wanted, but I couldn't do it. Was it fear? Fear of failure, fear of disappointment? Was it the distance? The ocean is quite a formidable opponent when it comes to communication. Was it the money? No. Whatever it was, it prevented me from doing what I love. And then one day, in the chair I spent a lot of my teenage years in, it hit me. "What the hell am I doing?" It's all history from there. 8 months later, I'm sitting here typing this.

I knew it would be hard moving around the world, leaving everything and everyone. It's been incredibly more hard than I had imagined. This list is the majority of the things I long for on a weekly basis. As most of you know, food is high on my priorities, thus it has a large stake in this list.
Lakes, rivers, trees, dirt, grass, air not smelling of smoke. Birds. The Problem Solver Roll at Koyi Sushi in Minneapolis, Minnesota. My car, driving, country music. Fires at Joe's. Catching minnows, not catching fish. Swimming. Snowmobiling. Watching sports in the basement with my dad. The couch at my Brother's. Picking my sister up from Zorbas at 2 in the morning. ;) The yarn store, The Patty Melt at Northwind Grille in Brainerd, MN. Arbys. Highway 94. Just kidding:) ( I amassed a total of 14,000 miles on that road this summer, I hate it.) Copper, Jack, Melvin. My kitchen at home. 2 am taco bell runs. The entire 112 Eatery menu, Stars, clouds. Dino Bear. My Mom's grilled cheese, beef stroganoff, biscuits and gravy, and meatloaf. Anthony Bourdain, Iron Chef, Top Chef, Andrew Zimmern. NFL Football, college football. Cell Phones, and, yes, Cheeseburgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment