Thursday, September 9, 2010

When life smacks you in the face, cook your ass off.

There's a saying that i've seen a lot lately, in different usages, and phrases. It is "When one thing is seeming to go perfect, all other things go awry" or something like it. I don't usually buy into sayings like this, until now. But, this blog is not just about me, it is about my adventures in this crazy place, so I will leave the above sentences for another time. The week started on Monday with a poached chicken recipe. Poached in chicken stock, and finished with a rissotto like rice preparation, and sauce supreme, basically cream and chicken stock. Very boring, and very easy. Needless to say, it went well, although my rice was under seasoned. Then, midweek, we began learning about doughs, pasta, flatbread and the like, and were asked to make a pissaladiere, or onion tart.. (Pizza without sauce or cheese) Again, very easy, but I was proud of my dough when the chef poked it and said "Very nice Mr. Brian, I am impressed" A pita like dough, topped with melted onions, tomatoes, capers, olives and anchovies, its a very mediterranean take on the Pizza, and it turned out well. After moving my things, whispering criticism in my ear, and moving me about the kitchen, the chef approached me after class and said "Some chef's from america are shit, and some are great, and you, you'll be one of those, with a kick in the ass" with a wink, he left, and I knew I was where I belonged. Tomorrow, quiche, and puff pastry.. I thought there was a reason I didn't take pastry courses.. Oh well..

No comments:

Post a Comment