Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Days Off: My time spent away from the kitchen..


Most days, I wake up, go to class for 3 to 6 hours and then I am done. For the first few weeks, I came home, got some food,  and slept, because i was not used to the time yet, but starting last week, I began to walk. Walking the markets, to the city center or anywhere else i could find. It's a beautiful city, and it helps to shed the few kg's I've gained since I've been here. Brainerd, Minnesota isn't quite the cultural capital of the world, so this is quite new to me. On one block alone i see Gyro Stands (My favorite), Crepe Stands (My new favorite), Vietnamese, Japonese, Korean, Thai (All members of my favorite continent of food stuffs), and the always present bakeries, butchers, candy and random food. Then there are the key makers, the shoe fixers, the stores that sell EVERYTHING, literally. I saw a vacuum next to socks, next to apples, that were stacked above laundry detergent.. Then there are the stores that sell keys and shoes, and fix EVERYTHING... Today I start something I've wanted to do since I decided to go to Le Cordon Bleu. Every off day, I will walk the entirety of a major Rue (road/street) in Paris. Today, I chose Rue Vaugirard (Vo-Jeyhad). This one is easy since i live on it, it measures almost the complete length of The 15th Arrondissement, (The section of Paris in which I live, map to follow) and stretches all the way to the National Senate, and Luxembourg Gardens. Mostly residential, with thousands of restaurants, it can be quite monotonous, with cafe upon cafe, brasserie (bar) upon brasserie, but it is very interesting. At about the 3 mile mark, you arrive in the Latin Quarter, in the 5th Arrondisement. Just after taking a left at the end of Vagirard, on Boulevard Raspail, another one of Paris' famous streets. A right on Boulevard St. Germain, you arrive in the heart of the Latin Quarter, a very different type of Paris, full of students, musicians and ex-pats. It was home to some of Paris' most famous universities, that have since moved to better, more spacious areas. I think I shall go back here tomorrow, after a little more research. Thanks for reading. Bonne Journée! (Have a good day)

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention the 15 hours you spend everyday creepin on my facebook :)

    You're a beast briguy

    Oh and I'm lookin for some chicken salad sandwich come thanksgiving time

    ReplyDelete